Tuesday, January 9, 2007

To the North Coast- A Stop at Pulhapanzak

The day after Christmas we set out for the northern coast to do some touristy things and see a little bit of Honduras countryside. If any of you have ever driven over Teton Pass between Wyoming and Idaho, that's the only way I can describe the two or three hours driving out of Tegucigalpa. It's steep, curvy, and everyone drives fast and if there are two lanes then Hondurans think that at least four our five cars will fit. I was ready to be out of the car by the time that part of the drive was over.

No, we didn't pack everything we owned for the journey, but someone else did. This is a truck moving someone's belongings on the highway when we left the city. And we saw more than one vehicle like this. Talk about strategic stacking!

There's a region in the middle part of the country that is know for it's fresh, pure honey so we stopped to get some to take to Armando's mom. We bought some too, but forgot it in Honduras. Lance was entertained by the fact that the honey was in every kind of bottle imaginable.

We stopped at the Waterfall Pulhapanzak and hiked down to it. It was very very misty (thus the blanket over Marcela). Judy and Marcela and I hiked back out of there while Lance and Armando hired a tour guide to take them behind the waterfall and then jump off of some lower rocks into some pools of water. This was Lance's favorite part of the trip. They described being behind the curtain of water like being in a hurricane.

Lance is below while Armando is sitting on the side by the guide.

Just a shot I took of the side of the falls.

This is Lance jumping. He's crazy!

The whole falls - if you look close, you can see the three standing at the bottom.

Armando in the middle jumping off another rock.

This is a view from the top of the falls. I wish I could tell you they took this picture from a lookout point, but without me knowing they went to the edge of the fall and snapped this shot. There are only a few inches of water flowing over the edge, so there is no strong current, but I would have died of a heart attack if I would have known they were there on the edge.

This is Armando standing on the edge of the fall.

And Lance standing on the edge.

1 comment:

Keyre said...

Hi! I'm of Honduran decent and would love to travel back one day! The pictures you took were great!

unfortunately My mother keeps scaring my by telling me it's really dangerous over there right now so I always wimp out from the trip.